We are thrilled to announce that weekly yoga classes will be offered beginning in July 2023! We are deeply grateful for Christiane Brems who developed and will be leading these weekly online classes “Yoga With Intention” every Thursday, 9:00-10:00 a.m. (starting July 6, 2023). Christiane Brems, PhD, ABPP, ERYT500, C-IAYT (https://profiles.stanford.edu/christiane-brems) is also a dedicated BCRC Board Member and volunteer.
The Santa Barbara Breast Cancer Resource Center’s Yoga with Intention is a yoga series developed specifically for individuals dealing with breast cancer whether in treatment, recovery, or post-treatment. Always consult your physician before beginning any exercise program. If you experience any pain or difficulty with these exercises, stop and consult your healthcare provider. Each session lasts 60 minutes and includes an opening centering, breathing practices, gentle movement, and meditation or guided imagery. Each session ends with a period of stillness, an opportunity to absorb the benefits of the practice before returning to daily activities. All practices are designed to support many aspects of recovery from breast cancer, with one aspect receiving special emphasis each month. Everyone is welcome and all classes are taught in such a way that everyone is able to participate. Never hesitate to ask your yoga teacher for guidance about how to make the practice more accessible and appropriate for your needs. Many variations are possible – there is a way for everyone to come to the practice in a personal and tailored way.
The following items can help make the practice more supportive and tailored for your needs:
• Yoga mat or substitute
• 2 yoga blocks or substitutes
• 1-2 blankets
• 1-2 large pillow or a yoga bolster
• 1 hand towel and/or 1 bath towel
• 1-2 chairs
Throughout each practice, please take care of your physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing by participating in a manner that is self-compassionate. You are always in charge of your own practice and are invited to skip any offerings in the yoga sessions that do not feel appropriate for how you are feeling in the moment. Please listen to your body, breath, and emotions throughout the practice to make your own choices about how to participate, how to move, and how to breathe.
Themes for the next few months:
• July 2023 – Supporting Your Immunity: Focus on moving lymphatic fluid to create more resilience and ameliorate symptoms of lymphedema
• August 2023 – Opening Your Heartspace: Focus on resolving tightness in the chest, shoulders, neck, and arms
• September 2023 – Restoring Your Resilience: Focus on resolving fatigue, integrating rejuvenation into each day, and supporting better sleep
• October 2023 – Accessing Your Ease: Focus on managing symptoms that create stress and tension, including digestive distress, pain, and discomfort
• November 2023 – Rediscovering Your Fortitude: Focus emotional wellbeing to help with anxiety, fear, depression, and other common emotions associated with cancer, as well rebuilding physical stability, balance, and strength